Soul Food — Slow Cooker Summer Ratatouille
Posted on July 10, 2012
First—Foraging Squirrel’s TOP TEN Tips To Stay Healthy:
O.k. you may have seen my little joke yesterday. In case you missed it, it went something like this:
How do you eliminate Catholic Belly Fat? Go to Mass and genuflect (I hear it’s the earliest form of Pilates), fast, eat bread and wine and read Foraging Squirrel because it’s good for the body and soul.
Was that funny? ehhhh….maybe not. I’ve been dealing a lot with the Catholic soul lately so I thought I’d touch on another type of soul — soul food! Foraging Squirrel soul food is NOT fried chicken. In fact it isn’t ever fried because fried is not good for your beautiful body which means your soul won’t be happy either. In fact (and this goes out to my friend on the pretzel and pastrami diet) below are few Foraging Squirrel tips and a great recipe for staying healthy (now if I could just follow them myself we’d be golden):
- Eat meat only once a week- or not at all (try legumes… even just saying legumes is fun)
- Eat as many whole fruits and veggies as you possibly can everyday. (and this does not mean Jamba Juice)
- Avoid as many processed foods as possible.
- Instead of white choose brown. (like brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat)
- Drink 8 glasses of water day.
- Buy Organic
- Laugh- watch comedies, stand up, play with your kids, read funny books.
- Every time a negative thought comes your way say “delete that thought” and replace it with a positive.
- Walk 30 min. everyday- briskly ( and say the rosary off of your iPhone audio app)
- PRAY Ya’ll- PRAY!
Soul Food — Slow Cooker Summer Ratatouille It’s too hot to use the oven so I’m opting for the slow cooker!
- 2 large onions, cut in half and sliced
- 1 large eggplant, sliced, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 4 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large green bell peppers, de-seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- red pepper flakes, to spice it up
- (add capers/ olives to taste)
- Layer half the vegetables in a large crock pot in the following order: onion, eggplant, zucchini, garlic, green peppers, tomatoes.
- Next sprinkle half the basil, oregano, sugar, parsley, salt and pepper on the veggies.
- Dot with half of the tomato paste.
- Repeat layering process with remaining vegetables, spices and tomato paste.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.
- Place in serving bowl and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. (add capers/ olives to taste)
- Refrigerate to store.
- May freeze up to 6 weeks.