It’s cold and rainy — It’s Chicken Noodle Soup time! My poor friend who is on a gluten free diet has the flu so I made the soup in the picture above with Quinoa noodles (which I love and can be found at Safeway). The picture below is with Casarecce noodles. Enjoy!
Slow Cooked Chicken Noodle Soup
2 cups water
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups vegetable broth
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 cups celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons salt ( to taste)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 lbs chicken thighs
3 cups Casarecce noodles or any noodle you choose (Quinoa for gluten free)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- In 6-quart or larger slow-cooker bowl, combine broth, water, lemon, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, 2 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, 1/2 t parsley.
- Add chicken on top of vegetables.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting 8 to 10 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board. Discard bay leaves. Add noodles to slow-cooker; cover with lid and cook (on low or high) 20 minutes.
- While noodles cook, remove chicken; shred meat.
- Add meat back to soup and serve with sourdough bread